Cologne – Liverpool
Cologne is Germany’s fourth-largest city (after Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich), and is the largest city both in the German Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia and within the Rhine-Ruhr Metropolitan Area, one of the major European metropolitan areas with more than ten million inhabitants. The city is located on both sides of the Rhine River. The famous Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom) is the seat of the Catholic Archbishop of Cologne. The University of Cologne (Universität zu Köln) is one of Europe’s oldest and largest universities.
Cologne is a major cultural centre for the Rhineland; it is home to more than thirty museums and hundreds of galleries. Exhibitions range from local ancient Roman archeological sites to contemporary graphics and sculpture. The Cologne Trade Fair hosts a number of trade shows such as Art Cologne, imm Cologne, Gamescom, and the Photokina.
Chemnitz calls itself the ‘City of Modernity’.
Chemnitz, known from 1953 to 1990 as Karl-Marx-Stadt, is the third-largest city in the Free State of Saxony, Germany. Chemnitz is an independent city which is not part of any county and seat of the Freistadt Sachsen. Located in the northern foothills of the Ore Mountains, it is part of the Central German Metropolitan Region. The city’s economy is based on the service sector and manufacturing industry. Chemnitz University of Technology has around 10,000 students.
Read a piece about the city written by Antje Timmermann, who runs the ‘Deutsch Centre’ in Manchester, and is from Chemnitz. Here…
Lancaster has been twinned with Rendsburg since 1968.
Rendsburg is a town in Schleswig-Holstein a state in northern Germany. It lies on the Eider River and the Kiel Canal (there bridged), west of Kiel.
An old fortress town on the Schleswig and Holstein border, it was first mentioned in 1199 as Reinoldesburg. Chartered in 1253, it was often an object of dispute between the Danish kings and the counts of Schleswig and Holstein. It served as a German centre of operations in the revolt of Schleswig and Holstein against Denmark in 1848–50, and, after the German-Danish and Austro-Prussian wars (1864–66), it passed to Prussia. Commercial development was stimulated in 1895 by the opening of the Kiel Canal, which made it an inland seaport. Rendsburg is divided by the Eider River into the Altstadt (“Old Town”) on an island in the Eider, the Neuwerk district to the south, and the industrial suburbs to the north. An important centre of water, road, and rail traffic, Rendsburg has an economy based on marketing agricultural goods, shipbuilding, toolmaking, and the manufacture of machinery, synthetic materials, and electrical, food, and wood products. Historic landmarks include St. Mary’s Church (1287–93), the town hall (1566), and Christ Church (1696). Many medieval houses have survived. Pop. (2003 est.) 28,700.